Welcome to #PASquashWeek!
Your one-stop shop for all things squash. 🎃 Get to know these funky shaped and textured little critters with us all week long as we divulge fun facts on oh so many types of gourd-geous gourds!
That's not all! Joining us once again and lending her culinary expertise is our dear friend Nora Minno (@noraminnord)! She is a Registered Dietitian, Certified Dietitian/ Nutritionist and Certified Personal Trainer, a total produce rockstar, and recently featured her meal planning prowess on our Produce Alliance social media.
This week she is bringing her one-of-a-kind squash recipes to the table for everyone to experiment with! All of Nora's dishes will feature a staple in the squash biz (butternut), and are packed with nutrients especially needed for cold season.
Without further ado, let's turn it over to Nora to hear more about today's recipe!
Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Coconut Soup
My absolute favorite part about making this soup is, you can’t go wrong! Add in all the flavor you love, let them cook together and blend until smooth – simple as that! It is a great way to use up leftover butternut squash. This soup is loaded with flavor and between the turmeric and coconut, packs in loads of anti-inflammatory properties.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups of butternut squash (peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces – does not need to be exact)
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut milk (boxed not canned)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp sliced scallions
- Optional: 1 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt (for toppings)
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Sprinkle turmeric, curry powder and cayenne pepper over onions and garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Stir in butternut squash and let cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add in coconut milk, bring to a boil. Once boiling turn down heat, cover with lid slightly ajar, and let simmer until butternut squash is completely soft ~20 minutes
- Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour entire contents of pot into a large blender and blend until consistency is completely smooth and lumps are removed.
- Distribute to bowls and serve with sliced scallions and optional greek yogurt.
Come along with us and share your own savviness for squash! Use the #PASquashWeek hashtag online for a chance to have your own creations featured. And stay tuned for more recipes from Nora to come!